Health Canada: Mould and health

Did you know that mould is one of the most common causes of poor indoor air in homes?

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Mould can grow in damp or wet areas in your home caused by water leaks, flooding, or high humidity that can result from everyday activities like cooking or showering. It can grow on wood, paper, fabrics, drywall and insulation. It can hide inside walls or above ceiling tiles.

 

People living in homes with mould and damp conditions are more likely to have:

 

  • eye, nose and throat irritation
  • coughing and mucous (phlegm) build-up
  • wheezing and shortness of breath
  • worsening of asthma symptoms

 

Some people are more vulnerable to the effects of mould than others. This may include children, seniors and people with medical conditions, like asthma and severe allergies.

 

Prevent mould from growing by making sure you:

 

  • Fix damp spots right away. Repair any water leaks as soon as you notice them. Clean up immediately after any flood.
  • Use fans. Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans when cooking or showering. Let the fan run for a few minutes after you are done. Make sure your clothes dryer vents to the outdoors.
  • Throw out basement clutter. Cardboard boxes and old clothes are great places for mould to grow.

 

Click here for more tips on how to prevent mold or get rid of it.