In my street, we play!
In my street, we play!, is a project that encourages young and old to play freely and safely, in residential streets chosen by citizens. It is a project deployed in several of Quebec’s municipalities that identifies a street where everyone can play freely and safely, following an official code of conduct.
This program is a concrete gesture to encourage healthy lifestyles by helping citizens choose a physically active lifestyle. However, an application must meet certain eligibility criteria before proceeding to the next stage. You can consult the criteria, by clicking here.
Steps to start your application:
- Submit a formal application to the Department of Recreation and Culture, either by letter or email.
- The Department of Recreation and Culture conducts a pre-analysis in collaboration with the Department of Public Works, the Department of Town Planning as well as the Sûreté du Québec.
- The Department of Public Works carries out an inspection of the premises according to the inspection criteria grid.
- A report is filed with the municipal council, for consideration.
- The applicant receives a signature register and must obtain the opinion of all the owners and tenants living on the chosen section of the street. The project must have the approval of at least 2/3 of the street’s residents for the Municipality to ratify the request.
- If 2/3 of the street’s residents approve, the next steps are:
- Council adopts a resolution;
- Signs are ordered and then installed;
- In collaboration with the Department of Communications, the district councillor informs the street’s residents of the council’s decision by letter or email. Once advised that the work has been completed, the Department of Communications announces the street’s new designation.
- If a request is refused by the council:
- The council’s decision is forwarded to the Department of Recreation and Culture.
- The Department of Recreation and Culture sends a letter to the applicants informing them of the council’s decision.
To date, the following are streets taking part in this program:
- 20th Avenue (between Lac-Morgan Rd. and Nathalie St.)
- des Cardinaux St.
- Lajeunesse St.
- des Noyers St.
- Maisonneuve St., between Montcalm and Shakespeare streets
- Frontenac Street
- du Boisé St.
- des Ormes St.
For more information, feel free to contact the Department of Recreation and Culture Department.
firstname.lastname@example.org – 450 834-2596, ext. 7160