Roles and responsibilities
Mr. Bruno Guilbault, who was elected on November 5, 2017 as Mayor of the Municipality of Rawdon, has a well-defined role that consists of:
- Representing the entire population of the Municipality
- Presiding over council meetings
- Signing documents in the name of the Municipality
- Overseeing the execution of by-laws and resolutions
- Ensuring the Municipality’s revenues are collected and spent as prescribed
The mayor has the rights of supervision, inquiry and control over the Municipality and the work of municipal civil servants.
Note that the council must designate a council member to the position of Deputy Mayor who replaces the mayor when he/she is absent or if his/her position is vacated.
The power of the Municipal council members can only be exercised during council meetings. They do not have the right as individuals or outside of meetings to make decisions in the name of the Municipality nor can they interfere with Municipal business.
Their primary responsibility is to attend council meetings, voice the interests and concerns of the citizens they represent, and participate in the decision-making process. Councillors can be assigned specific files and they can be named to commissions or committees created by the council.